Stop the “Twindemic”: Get your flu shot now!Posted on September 14, 2020
Registration Open for Health Department Flu Shots
Public Health officials are getting ready for a surge in respiratory illnesses this fall. Officials worry that an anticipated “second wave” of COVID infections will strike at the same time as seasonal influenza, resulting in a “twindemic” that could push the health care system to the breaking point. Montgomery Township Health Department is encouraging everyone to get their annual flu shots as soon as the flu vaccine is available locally.
“We are anticipating a surge in demand for flu shots this season,” says Montgomery Township Health Officer Stephanie Carey. “At the same time, we are re-designing the way we operate our flu clinics, to implement social distancing and prevent crowding.” Enhanced safety measures include:
- All vaccinations will be provided by appointment only. Appointments can be made now by emailing email@example.com or by calling 908-359-8211 x227. (Appointments cannot be made online for the Sept. 30 or Oct. 6 flu shot clinics.)
- Consent forms and insurance information will be collected on-line.
- Appointments will be spaced to allow for social distancing, and to allow nurses extra time to disinfect between patients.
- Clinics will be offered both as drive-through, and walk-up outdoor clinic models.
“We are having to re-work our whole model of how we deliver vaccines, quickly, safely, and to a large population,” said Carey. “In addition to protecting our community from the flu right now, this fall’s clinics give us the chance to better prepare for the day sometime in the future when a COVID vaccine becomes available.”
Due to high demand, clinic schedules will be posted at the Health Department website https://health.montgomery.nj.us/ as flu vaccine shipments arrive. As of this writing, the following clinics are confirmed by appointment only:
- Wednesday, September 30, 10AM to 12 noon: Outdoor Walk-up at Otto Kaufman Senior Center, 356 Skillman Road Senior Citizens only—OFFERING HIGH DOSE VACCINE TO AGE 65+
- Tuesday, October 6, 3PM to 5PM, Outdoor Walk-up at Rocky Hill Borough Hall Gazebo, 15 Montgomery Road
- Additional drive through clinics will be announced for early October as flu vaccine shipments arrive
Safety Rules for Walk-Up Clinics
- Masks are mandatory.
- Appointments are mandatory
- Paperless consent forms strongly encouraged.
- Free to Medicare
- Free to residents who have lost their jobs, lost their insurance, or lost income due to the pandemic
- Free to first responders and their households (with ID)
- $25 to all others (When you pay online, we will email receipts for you to request reimbursement/cafeteria plan but cannot process these claims)