Upcoming Free Rabies Immunization Clinics for Dogs & Cats
sponsored by Montgomery Township Health Department/Animal Control
NONE SCHEDULED AT THIS TIME. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR NEW CLINIC ANNOUNCEMENTS.
When attending a rabies clinic, for safety’s sake—
- Please, only the household member holding the pet(s) should attend
- Dogs must be on a short, sturdy leash—No retractable leashes!
- Use of a soft muzzle is encouraged but not mandatory.
- Dogs must be under control of an adult at all times.
- Cats must be in a carrier.
- Stay in your car until your appointment time.
- Pet licensing will not be done at the clinic this year, however if you have your forms and payment ready there will be a drop for your license to be mailed to you.
- No late fees will incur until after March 1st 2021 due to the dates of the rabies clinics
Protect your pet (and your community)!
Who Can Bring Animals to our Clinics?
Any resident of New Jersey may bring their dogs and cats to any clinic held in the State. All dogs and cats over six months of age must be vaccinated against RABIES prior to licensing.
Montgomery Township Board of Health has an ordinance requiring that cats residing in the Township to be immunized against rabies. This began in 2016. The State of New Jersey law requires proof of the appropriate vaccination before a dog or cat license can be issued. Click HERE to learn more.
It is important for all pet owners to be sure their dogs and cats have protection against rabies. Some Montgomery Township pets have had to undergo quarantine because they were attacked by rabid wildlife (mostly raccoons). All pets that were currently vaccinated remained healthy during their ten day home quarantine period. The owners of pets that were not vaccinated at the time they were exposed to rabid wildlife had to choose to either euthanize their pet or quarantine their pet for a six-month period. (Quarantine periods are set by New Jersey State Law).
To learn more about preventing rabies, call the Montgomery Township Health Department/Animal Control at (908) 359-8211 ext. 247.