Pet Owners: You may conveniently license your pet with the online forms below and pay online, or you may mail in your dog or cat licensing forms and fees, drop them in the drop-box in front of the municipal building (2261 Rt. 206, Belle Mead), or come to front receptionist desk to inquire about licensing your pet (M-F, 8 AM -4:30 PM). Please bring exact change or check.
- Dog and cat licensing begins in early January.
- Dog owners must either use the Dog Licensing Form mailed to you or scroll down this page to interactive dog licensing form and click link.
- Cat owners must use the Cat Licensing Application form mailed to you or scroll down this page to cat licensing form and click link.
- All info on the forms must be completed, including the owner’s full name and address.
- Your pet must be up-to-date on its rabies vaccinations prior to licensing. You must provide proof of rabies vaccination. A new vaccination is needed if your pet’s last vaccination has expired by or before October 31st (check your license renewal form if you have one). You should also provide proof of the spaying/neutering if the spaying status on the renewal form is incorrect or if it has been done since the last licensing year. This status changes the cost of the license.
- Click Here to Find Next Free Pet Rabies Vaccination Clinic
New licenses and renewals are due by January 31st or monthly late fees are incurred. Contact Montgomery Animal Control at 908-359-8211 ext. 2247 with any questions on pet licenses and pet license renewals.
-All dogs and cats residing in Montgomery Township who are over seven (7) months or having a permanent set of teeth, must be licensed by the Township by January 31, unless exempt*. A late fee of $ 1.00 per month will be imposed after January 31. Please make sure that your pet’s rabies vaccine is up-to-date (ie. valid through October 31). Please have your pet receive a rabies vaccine even if it overlaps with the old vaccine. This assures your pet’s protection should he/she become bitten by another animal or bite someone.
-If you have just moved into town from elsewhere in New Jersey, your dog or cat license from your previous town is good for the calendar year but you must register your pet in Montgomery Township and obtain a new tag for fifty cents.
DOG LICENSING FORM
This symbol is found on Dog License Renewal Envelopes:
Look for this symbol on an envelope mailed from The Township of Montgomery in the last week of December. Please SAVE THIS LETTER in a safe place. You will need both copies of the enclosed form and instructions to renew your dog’s license before the end of January.
For further information on the Township’s free annual rabies clinics, click here.
CAT LICENSING APPLICATION
*If you believe your animal should be exempted from the requirement of rabies vaccination due to age or a medical condition, please have your veterinarian fill out this form, which must be renewed annually:
Why is it important to license your pet?
1.To safeguard public health
Every licensed pet has been vaccinated against rabies. This protects your pets, children and neighbors against this deadly disease! When the license tag is visible, you know that animal has been vaccinated!
2.To help your pet get home
If your pet gets lost, your pet can be returned more quickly and sometimes without a trip to the shelter! If it is impounded and taken to the shelter, it is safer there than it would be roaming the streets in harm’s way. A license tag can be easily traced to the animal’s owner with a phone call. A license tag is your pet’s ticket home.
3.To help us to enforce laws on responsible pet ownership
If we can track pet ownership, then we know where to focus our services and education efforts.
4.To support the shelter and adoption of unwanted pets
Your yearly license fee helps support sheltering for strays and unwanted pets. It also pays for our leash-free dog park, animal control services and community education.
5.It’s the law! Dogs and Cats must be licensed and vaccinated against rabies.