Animal Control

As Montgomery Townships Animal Control Officer, and with response to COVID-19, here is the latest update in regards to responding of calls. This is until further notice:

Any questions or concerns can be addressed to me by email or phone (  or 908-359-8211 x247)

– Jennifer LaStella

During the COVID 19 emergency, we are limiting our Animal Control Operations to Life Safety response, and to resident coaching on how to handle non-emergent issues. Animal Control Officers have access to email and voicemail remotely to address non-emergent concerns.

An emergency consists of:
• Any animal that is a threat to public safety (potentially rabid or aggressive) • Animal cruelty • Bats in house if there is possible exposure • Rabies vectors in the dwelling space of a house (e.g a raccoon in the kitchen but not if in attic) • Dogs at large that are being held by resident or police where the owner cannot be located within 6 hours

Responses to 1) Injured wildlife that are not a threat to public safety, 2) stray dogs that are not aggressive, and 3) outdoor cats not showing signs of rabies will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis as to whether the ACO can safely respond.

Non- Emergency Messages can be left at 908-359-8211 x247 and will be answered the next business day.

Please be safe and be kind to each other 🐾🐾


HEALTHY PET NEWSLETTER –  keep your pets happy, healthy & safe!

Emergency and Non-Emergency Animal Control calls should be directed during business hours (see right) to (908) 359-8211 ext. 247.


(Keep our township & waterways clean! Its the Law.)

Emergency Calls

  • Animal bite or possible rabies exposure
  • Attacking or threatening animals
  • Sick or injured animals in the roadway or on private property
  • Animal cruelty occurring at the time of the call
  • Any domestic animal at large (except cats) if the animal is at large at the time of the call and the caller is not familiar with the owner or cannot contact the animal’s owner

Non-emergency Calls

  • Curbside dead animal removal (such as deer)
  • Lost or impounded animals
  • General animal nuisances, (barking, etc.)
  • Other animal related questions
Interacting with Wildlife

Getting to see wildlife can be one of the most enjoyable parts of living in a semi-rural/suburban area like Montgomery.  If you encounter a baby animal, 98% of the time the best thing you can possibly do is to leave it alone.  Typically, the mother is not far away and will return after you leave.  Deer, for example, often ‘hide’ their ‘camouflaged’ newborns from predators right in the middle of an open field or yard area, while the mother goes off to graze nearby and returns later.  If you approach a baby deer, fox, raccoon, opossum, etc, it may run to where the mother will not find it or towards a dangerous road or in fear, may even act aggressively towards you.

If you find an injured animal or one that is acting ill or acting strangely, it is safest to leave it alone and call Animal Control at (908) 359-8211 ext. 247 or Police dispatch (after hours, see top right). Animal Control will be able to assess the situation best and follow-up appropriately.

To learn more about living alongside New Jersey’s wildlife, click on Common Wildlife Problems, a FAQ with advice from Rutgers Agricultural Extension Service’s Wildlife Conservation and Management Program.