Engineering Dept. Permitting

The Engineering Department reviews site work outside of your house or building, including work that coincides with Building and Zoning Permit applications. We issue Street / Right-of-Way Opening, Driveway Construction, Soil Hauling, and Soil Disturbance Permits (see section below, hereinafter referred to as “Engineering Permits”). The Engineering Department staff reviews grading, land disturbance (clearing, tree removal, soil disturbance), soil importing and exporting, sidewalks, curbs, driveways, stormwater / drainage, development in environmentally sensitive areas, traffic control, sewer connections, and other forms of land use.

If you are not sure whether or not a permit is required, please call us to ask.  Permit applications and general information can be found below. Applications are typically reviewed within 10 business days.

Plan Requirements for Permit Applications

Plot and grading plans must be submitted with Engineering, Building, and Zoning Permit applications. For guidance, click here for our plot plan review checklist .

Here are a few things that residents should be aware of:

  • Sprinklers, invisible pet fences, walls, landscaping, sheds, fences, driveways, unauthorized drainage discharges, or other private items may not be placed in easements or the municipal right-of-way (varies but usually 10 feet behind road edge)
  • Development in wetlands, wetland buffers, riparian zones, flood hazard areas / floodplains, water courses, critical soils, steep slopes, stream corridors, and conservation easements / deed restrictions is regulated and in most cases prohibited
  • Owners are responsible for driveways all the way to the road, including depressed curbing along road edge, aprons, sidewalk through driveway, and driveway culvert pipes
  • Any access (including for construction, landscaping, etc.) to property must be through your existing driveway; damaging public sidewalk, curbing, or other infrastructure is subject to enforcement and repair at owner’s expense
  • Keep trees branches and bushes trimmed to not impede public sidewalk or visibility at road intersections
  • Excavators must contact “NJ One Call”, dial 811, (800) 272-1000, or via their website at least 3 business days before digging (mandated by State Law and there is no cost)
  • Township Code can be found on the General Code ecode360 website.

Street / Right-of-Way Opening Permit  (Township Code Chapter 11-1)

Work within Township roadways, right-of-way, and easements requires a Street / Right-of-Way Permit.  Applicants must also provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance. Examples of work include but are not limited to roadway excavation; interruption of traffic flow; utility work including connections to sewer, water, gas, etc.; curb and sidewalk work; driveway construction, maintenance, repair, and relocation; connections to storm sewers and installing drainage discharges.

Basic minimum application requirements and information:

  • Scaled drawings of proposed work with pertinent details, usually on property survey or plot plan
  • If work will impact traffic, MUTCD conforming temporary traffic control plans are required
  • Insurance, inspection fees, and bond fees apply and are determined during application review
    • Bond fees are eligible for release with applicant’s written request (email preferred) 6 months after final inspection by Engineering Department; inspection fees are non-refundable
  • Sump pumps, interceptor drains, or other front yard drainage discharges shall be tied into the storm sewer system where possible

Restriction on permits:

  • No permit will be issued within 3 years of road resurfacing or within 5 years of new construction / reconstruction

Permit for Driveway Construction (Township Code Chapter 11-2)

Installing, repairing, or maintaining a private driveway within a public right-of-way requires a Permit for Driveway Construction in addition to a Street / Right-of-Way Opening Permit.

Basic minimum application requirements and information:

  • There is a $5.00 application fee
  • Driveway pipes (where applicable) shall be sized by a Professional Engineer, shall be no less than 15-inches inner diameter and made of reinforced concrete or ductile iron

Exempt activities:

  • Minor repairs such as filling holes or cracks which does not affect the roadside drainage are exempt from a permit provided notification is given to the Engineering Department

Soil Hauling Authorization Permit (Township Code Chapter 16-5.6)

Any quantity of soil or construction materials to be imported to or exported from a property requires a Soil Hauling Permit.

Basic minimum application requirements and information:

  • Number of trucks and hauling route sketch (weight restricted roads and bridges must be avoided)
  • Quantity in excess of 20 cubic yards per year may require Planning or Zoning Board approval
  • May require topographical survey of existing conditions, grading plan showing how the soil is to be distributed and stabilized, and/or final as-built survey
  • Clean Soil testing and certification for compliance with Residential and/or Non-Residential Direct Contact Soil Remediation Standards may apply

Soil Disturbance Permit (Township Code Chapter 14)

Disturbing any land by construction, demolition, clearing, grading, transporting, storing, filling, or exposing bare soil by any means is subject to Engineering Department review.

Activities 5,000 square feet or less may require a Soil Disturbance Permit. Land disturbance over 5,000 square feet is regulated by the Somerset-Union Soil Conservation District (SUSCD) located in Bridgewater, NJ. Soil Erosion and Sediment Control measures may be required regardless which agency takes jurisdiction.

Basic minimum application requirements and information (SUSCD has their own requirements):

  • $100.00 application fee.
  • Soil Erosion and Sediment Control (SESC) plan, details, and installation sequence schedule
  • May require topographical survey of existing conditions, grading plan showing how the soil is to be distributed and stabilized, and/or final as-built survey


  • If disturbance exceeds 5,000 square feet, SUSCD approval letter and stamped plan must be provided for project to be exempt from Soil Disturbance Permit
  • Agricultural uses in accordance with farm conservation plan approved by SUSCD
  • Land disturbances 1,500 square feet or less on single-family dwelling properties where the disturbed grade is either less than 10% slope, is not within a Critical Area, and is not within 25 feet of a property line, municipal boundary, right-of-way, or easement (a Soil Disturbance Exemption Permit applies)

Critical Areas (Township Code Chapter 16-6.4)

Development in Critical Areas are regulated. Critical areas include wetlands, wetland buffers, riparian zones, flood hazard areas / floodplains, water courses, ponds, critical soils, stream corridor, and steep slopes over 15% grade.

These areas are regulated to prevent reduction in flood storage, prevent rise in water levels, reduce danger risk to humans, animals, and property, maintain natural drainage features, recharge water aquafers, promote parklike network along waterways, prohibit dumping of waste, reduce erosion, protect downstream properties, maintain water quality, protect ecosystem, and permit certain types of development that would not likely exacerbate these matters.