SECRETARY TO THE GOVERNING BODY
- Attends and records meetings of the Township Committee, prepares agendas for the meetings and distributes Official Minutes
- Compiles, investigates and prepares documents pertaining to items requiring Committee action, including creation of resolutions and proclamations
- Handles municipal correspondence
- Acts as liaison between the public and the Township Committee
- Administers and records Oaths of Office
- Maintains custody of all official records that are not specifically handled by other departments
- Processes appointments to and keeps Updated Roster and Mailing List for Committees and Commissions
SECRETARY TO THE MUNICIPAL CORPORATION
- Signs majority of official documents, attests signature of municipal officers and officials
- Maintains custody of the Municipal Seal
- Maintains legal documents.
- Upholds citizenry’s right to access public records under the N.J. Open Public Records Act (OPRA).
Montgomery Township OPRA Request
(Also found under “Forms” section of website).
- Registers Voters
- Certifies vacancies existing on the local level
- Maintains receipt of nominating petitions and certification to the County Clerk of local candidate nominated by petition
- Exercises quasi-judicial authority in determining the validity of petitions
- Conducts drawing for position of candidates on the local ballot
- Furnishes material for local elections
- Suggests polling places to the Election Board
- Maintains receipt of election results
- Certifies to County Clerk persons elected to partisan County Committee offices in each election district
- Tallies the votes and certifies election results for local office at primary, general and municipal elections
- Issues licenses and permits: ABC liquor, container facility, peddlers, raffles and bingo, taxi and limousine, special events, towing, wildlife management (deer hunting), etc.
- Handles complaints of all types
- Furnishes data to public information media
- Purchases supplies and equipment when required
- Receives and files bonds and insurance policies
- Directs correspondence and inquiries to various departments for action
- Serves as coordinator and records manager responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs
- Conducts business with other municipal departments as needed and as directed by the Township Committee.
OTHER DUTIES OF THE CLERK
- Coordination of special projects
- Resident/public inquiries
- Provide copies of Ordinances/Resolutions and other information as requested by public and personnel
- Process applications for Blue/Red Light Permits to Emergency Service Volunteers
- Landlord Rental Registration
- Sign final development maps before filed with the County
- Keep and maintain Township Code, including Land Development Ordinance
- Responsible for sound and recording equipment in the meeting rooms
- Work related to easements, cross easements, etc.
- Support work related to scheduling appeals to License Appeals Board
- Administer petty cash fund
- Custodian of original Contracts and Agreements with responsibility for their execution
- Responds to requests for information from residents, attorneys, press, radio stations, etc.
- Administer budget accounts for Township Clerk and Township Committee
- Plan and organize municipal social events such as Township Committee Receptions, etc.
- Research public utility assessment searches for prospective home buyers.