Full-time position with benefits package. Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Wastewater Operations in Public Works, the Sewer Plant Operator II is responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of sewage treatment plants. Work is performed in accordance with procedures and policy guidelines set forth by the Superintendent of Public Works, or another appropriately designed supervisor to whom unusual events and emergencies are referred. Reports directly to the Director of Wastewater Operations, and may direct the work of other Montgomery Township Sewer Utility (MTSU) employees.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The job duties, responsibilities, skills and descriptions herein are not comprehensive. Duties may be added or removed at the Township’s discretion:
- May be responsible for the operation of a S2 treatment plant, including Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMR’s), Waste Characterization Reports (WCR’s), and Residual Transfer Reports (RTR’s).
- Makes regular inspections of plant and equipment to ascertain that it is in proper operation.
- Monitors records, gauges, meters and other plant testing and measuring devices to ensure proper quality of effluent.
- Makes changes or adjustments in plant operations as required to improve the treatment process.
- Maintains records and prepares reports.
- Performs laboratory tests when required.
- Starts, stops and makes repairs to pumps, motors, and equipment.
- Works overtime as needed or required.
- Performs other work as required or assigned, most notably in the collection system, pump stations, or any of the other sewage treatment facilities.
- When not engaged in Sewer Plant Operator 2 activities, performs the tasks of Sewer Plant Operator 1, Sewer Maintenance Worker, or Sewer Laborer.
- Keeps informed of professional developments in wastewater treatment field and maintains license Training Contact Hours (TCH’s) as per NJDEP requirements.
Required Key Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Thorough knowledge of sewage treatment plant principles and operating practices.
- Good mechanical abilities.
- Some knowledge of laboratory procedures with respect to the testing of wastewater.
Desired Skills and Knowledge:
- 3-5 years of demonstrated success in the operation, repair, and maintenance of sewage treatment plants.
- Successful completion of introductory and advanced wastewater courses offered by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), or any equivalent combination of experience and/or training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Required Education, Certification, License:
- Possession of a S2 Treatment Operator License issued by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
Desired Education, Certification, License:
C1/C2 Collection System License.
CDL Class B with Tanker Endorsement.
A valid NJ Driver’s License and NJ residency are required. If you would like to be considered, please submit your letter of interest and resume to Tamarah Novak, Personnel Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person to the township Administration office, 2261 Route 206, Belle Mead, NJ 08502. EOE
Updated May 8, 2020