9-14: Flu Shot Clinics, Call to Teens – New Youth Leadership Council, Case ReportPosted on September 14, 2020
Stop the “Twindemic”: Get your flu shot now!
Registration Open for Health Department Flu Shots
Public Health officials are getting ready for a surge in respiratory illnesses this fall. Officials worry that an anticipated “second wave” of COVID infections will strike at the same time as seasonal influenza, resulting in a “twindemic” that could push the health care system to the breaking point. Montgomery Township Health Department is encouraging everyone to get their annual flu shots as soon as the flu vaccine is available locally.
“We are anticipating a surge in demand for flu shots this season,” says Montgomery Township Health Officer Stephanie Carey. “At the same time, we are re-designing the way we operate our flu clinics, to implement social distancing and prevent crowding.” Enhanced safety measures include:
- All vaccinations will be provided by appointment only. Appointments can be made now by emailing email@example.com or by calling 908-359-8211 x227. (Appointments cannot be made online for the Sept. 30 or Oct. 6 flu shot clinics.)
- Consent forms and insurance information will be collected on-line.
- Appointments will be spaced to allow for social distancing, and to allow nurses extra time to disinfect between patients.
- Clinics will be offered both as drive-through, and walk-up outdoor clinic models.
“We are having to re-work our whole model of how we deliver vaccines, quickly, safely, and to a large population,” said Carey. “In addition to protecting our community from the flu right now, this fall’s clinics give us the chance to better prepare for the day sometime in the future when a COVID vaccine becomes available.”
Due to high demand, clinic schedules will be posted at the Health Department website https://health.montgomery.nj.us/ as flu vaccine shipments arrive. As of this writing, the following clinics are confirmed by appointment only:
- Wednesday, September 30, 10AM to 12 noon: Outdoor Walk-up at Otto Kaufman Senior Center, 356 Skillman Road Senior Citizens only—OFFERING HIGH DOSE VACCINE TO AGE 65+
- Tuesday, October 6, 3PM to 5PM, Outdoor Walk-up at Rocky Hill Borough Hall Gazebo, 15 Montgomery Road
- Additional drive-through clinics will be announced for early October as flu vaccine shipments arrive
Safety Rules for Walk-Up Clinics
- Masks are mandatory.
- Appointments are mandatory
- Paperless consent forms strongly encouraged.
- Free to Medicare
- Free to residents who have lost their jobs, lost their insurance, or lost income due to the pandemic
- Free to first responders and their households (with ID)
- $25 to all others (When you pay online, we will email receipts for you to request reimbursement/cafeteria plan but cannot process these claims)
Join the Montgomery Youth Leadership Council
Applications are open for Montgomery Township’s new Youth Leadership Council! The council is an ad-hoc committee to the mayor and will serve as an opportunity for students to attend various Township Committee meetings, share ideas in a space where change can be made, and improve their understanding of local government.
Students will be expected to attend 1-2 designated Township Committee meetings and 1-2 YLC meetings per month where they will discuss their thoughts and ideas, then share information with the community. Students may also seek out volunteer hours through their participation in the council. Montgomery residents ages 13-18 regardless of their enrollment in the Montgomery Township School District are eligible to apply.
The application link can be found here<https://forms.gle/fR7PPNc5xmH5ebm98> and will remain open for submissions until 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, September 20th of this year. Grades and other indicators of academic success are not taken into account during the selection process. Instead, selection is based on written responses to predetermined prompts. Those accepted will become active members of the council starting this fall. Any questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reviewing your applications!
TODAY’S COVID-19 CASE REPORT
Note: There have been eight (8) new cases in Montgomery/Rocky Hill since our last report Friday, 9-11-20.
As of 9 am today, 9-14
NJ cases: 196,968
NJ deaths: 16,034
Somerset County cases: 5,575
Somerset County deaths: 568
Montgomery cases: 160
Montgomery deaths: 7
Rocky Hill cases: 6
Rocky Hill deaths: 0
Age Ranges of Cases in Montgomery & Rocky Hill:
166 confirmed and probably cases for Montgomery and Rocky Hill in total, of which:
– 146 presumed recovereda
– 13 currently ill
– 7 fatalities
a “Presumed recovered” means 30 days have elapsed since individual’s diagnosis and the person is not hospitalized.
*****DISCLAIMER***** Reported numbers on this page may not match the figures provided on the Somerset County page. This is due to differences in reporting times.
Testing Site info found at: https://health.montgomery.nj.us/covid-testing/